Low Brass Lessons
I currently teach trombone, euphonium, tuba, and jazz improvisation/theory lessons at Hinsdale South High School and Eisenhower Junior High School in Darien, Illinois, at Westview Hills Middle School in Willowbrook, Illinois, and at Riverside-Brookfield High School in Riverside, Illinois. Lessons are available both during and after school, and I'm also willing to work with any students who are able to travel to these schools.
When I teach, the goal is not only to improve the student’s skills on their instrument; I push my students to think critically about the music and make their own educated decisions about how to perform a piece. To maintain a balance between improving skills on the instrument and improving skills as a musician, I typically cover a large range of topics in any given lesson:
- Tone production and articulation
- Lip slurs and control over extreme registers
- Scales and arpeggios, and how they relate to chord structures
- Sight reading
- Music from school ensembles and upcoming auditions
- Ear training, music theory, and analysis of musical forms
- Improvisation in jazz and classical idioms
Most of all, though, I want to help my students achieve whatever goal they have set, whether they want to ace a seating audition at school, audition for a district or all state band, or rise to the level where they can begin performing professionally.